The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 1.4 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of nearly 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to fight for the planet and its people in the halls of Congress, communities across the country, and nations around the globe. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental and natural resources laws, including the federal fisheries law and the Oil Pollution Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our fisheries cases played a major role shaping current fisheries policy throughout the country. Today, our staff – a force for nature - work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking an intern to work with the Administration/Facilities Department in our DC office. The intern will work on many facilities management and sustainability projects. The candidate must be able to efficiently handle administrative tasks such as proofreading and preparing materials, scheduling and coordinating project meetings, handling phone calls, processing invoices, and maintain office supply inventory. The ideal candidate will have excellent administrative and organizational skills, sound judgment; strong interpersonal skills, and be able to support consensus-based decision with a flexible, innovative approach to resolving issues.
The internship is for six months. Hours are generally 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM. Start and end dates and other scheduling details are negotiable. The compensation is $15 per hour and the intern will work 5 days a week.
• Process vendor invoices.
• Provide reception desk coverage.
• Responsible for daily checks to ensure professional appearance and upkeep of the office.
• Provide administrative support and assist with ad hoc projects for the facilities team.
• Assist in implementing energy saving programs.
• Uphold NRDC commitment to greener business operations.
• Review and improve the Facilities department procedural/training manual.
• Assist with set-ups of staff events.
• In charge of distribution of mail.
• Maintain data bases, paper and electronic filing systems.
• Maintain phone system equipment and office supply inventory.
• Assist with ordering kitchen and office supplies every week.
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service and organizational skills are required.
• Ability to meet deadlines and pay attention to details is a must.
• Ability to work accurately and with composure under deadline pressure.
• Internet savvy plus a proven mastery of Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Excel and Outlook.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Highly trustworthy and able to deal with confidential information.
• Ability to take direction from manager and other team members.
• Interest in environmental advocacy is a plus.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org